REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN THE AMERICAN LEGION
Membership eligibility in the American Legion is based on honorable service with the U. S. Armed Forces or U.S. Merchant Marine. Applicant must have served at least one day of active military duty during one of the dates below and been honorably discharged or is still serving honorably:
- World War I (April 6, 1917 -November 11, 1918)
- World War II (December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946)
- U.S. Merchant Marine - December 7, 1941- August 15, 1945
- Korean War (June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955)
- Vietnam War (February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975)
- Lebanon/Grenada (August 24, 1982 - July 31,1984)
- Operation Just Cause (December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990)
- Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm (August 2, 1990 - Today) *
* Because this eligibility date remains open, all current members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.
NEW MEMBERSHIP: Eligible veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following information to Post Membership Committee: 1. Completed American Legion Membership Application (available by clicking on "APPLICATION" button below). Print two (2) completed copies. Keep one copy for your records. Mail the other copy to address provided below. Applications are also available at the Post Canteen. 2. Attach copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Discharge or for those still on Active Duty a copy of your Military ID Card. 3. Include Membership Dues Payment. Tender payment of current year Dues in the amount shown on the Application. Make checks payable to American Legion Post 318. DO NOT SEND CASH ! 4. If the information is correct, membership will be approved and membership card will be mailed to you.
TRANSFERS: Legionnaires applying for transfer from your current Post to our Post must submit the following: 1. Completed Member Data Form. 2. Copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Discharge or for those still on Active Duty a copy of your Military ID Card. 3. Copy of current Membership Card At the time transfer is requested Membership dues payment is required if current year dues have not been paid. Return Application (New or Transfer) to the Post Canteen or mail to: American Legion Post 318 1000 Savanna Club Blvd Port Saint Lucie, FL 34952-3347
(IMPORTANT: EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT A LEGIBLE COPY OF THEIR DD-214 OR DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE AT THE TIME NEW APPLICATION OR APPLICATION FOR TRANSFER IS MADE.)